Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 6...the long story.

Day six! May 26th...

I was pretty nervous this day after my lack luster performance the 1st day.

Finding a stuck Subaru down the road from the camp site cheered me up
a bit! He had tried to come up our tracks and got stuck....go figure.
We gave him a tug and sent him down the road. He didn't make it more
than 20 feet into the snow on the road bed, at least I had made it
about 2 miles. Go Willys!

We headed down into some really great backcountry along some fat snow
fed rivers. We looped back over the mountains on a random pass road
that was paved?!?!?! It was snow free...boring.....and topped up with
fuel again.

After that we headed back up into the mountains.

Somewhere in there I decided to try 1psi instead of 2psi. What a
difference it made! It made a LOT of difference. I think my driving
was also catching up with the other guys and I was getting the 'feel'
for this 'new' vehicle I had. My Krawlers are pretty rock worn and
have rounded edges on the tread blocks. This really hurts you in my
opinion in the snow. I just didn't have the 'traction' that the new
MTR/K's or custom grooved Swamper Radials had. In my opinion those
MTR/K goodyear tires are among some of the best I have seen all
around. They did VERY well in the deep snow, I know they work well in
the rocks, and they even go down the road pretty well.

After the change to 1psi things started to work for me. Don't forget
that we probably aired up and down about 10+ times on this trip since
we where going in and out of the snow so much.

Everyone eventually got sidehilled out again this day but we made it
over one pass and WAY into the back country. It was more a combination
of huge tree wells, sidehill, uphill, and crappy snow conditions in
some light rain. The Willys was working pretty well at this point and
I actually did some things that amazed even my friends. Yeah Willys!

No comments:

Post a Comment