Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 11...the long story.

Day 11. May 30th.

Back on the road!

I ended up driving a LONG ways this day. I made it all the way to the
Wyoming border and it wasn't even late yet. Somewhere along the way I
ended up getting REALLY rained on. So much so that at the next town I
found a laundrymat and dried all my clothes out while I ate lunch!
Warm dry clothes are the best thing ever!

The morning was pretty dang cold. I ended up changing jets in the carb
while I drank some hot chocolate. I think this was the coldest morning
by far. I think going over the pass it was something like 28F! I don't
care who you are or how many layers you area wearing. In an open top
Willys that is plenty cold at 52mph!

I had thought I would end up around the Wyoming border that night but
ended up making it much much further south. Part of it was just
because it was a good road day. Part of it was because I was trying to
get south of the random rain storms. The last part was because I
couldn't find anywhere to freaking camp in southwest wyoming. I ate
dinner and grabbed fuel in Kemmerer, Wyoming. I think just before that
town is where I saw the derailed train. You don't see that every day.
It was just grain, no aliens, toxic waste, or railcars full of crate
jeeps.....

The wind really does blow in Wyoming if there aren't mountains! I
started looking for a place to camp but didn't have any luck. It was
windy enough I was thinking that I needed the lee side of a hill or
something. The sun was still up so I just kept going!

I ended up finding a not-so-cheap but nice enough hotel in Manila,
Utah just across the border at just about dark. I had spent about 12
hours on the road and covered about 500+ miles I think? I was done. I
was WAY south of where I needed to be.

This route down the western edge of Wyoming was REALLY great minus the
last 50 miles of wind and no-tress!

No comments:

Post a Comment