Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 13....the long story

Day 13.

Last day on the road. Homeward bound!

The only thing that stands in my way are three mountain passes over 11,000ft!

The drive through the loop road in the Colorado National Monument was
really super nice. The road was perfect with lots of curves, tunnels,
and bikers to keep you on your toes. I am surprised with how well the
little Willys really corners. You can toss it around pretty good and
it never feels loose or leans too much. It could be something about
how stupid low it sits, how its wider than it is tall, or the fact
that the tires are about 14" wide?

Red mountain pass wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I
don't think I have ever had this thing that high in elevation. I did
change jets in Ridgway but didn't really have to mess with them as
much as I thought I would. The little Willys didn't have any issue
motoring up over the passes. You do get stuck in 3rd gear which with
the 5.38 gears isn't the fastest speed. It will pull WAY more in 4th
gear than I thought it would. It seems corner speed and cooling are
the biggest limiting factors...not power. I do think a 3rd gear with a
Saturn Overdrive would be about perfect for the mountains.

I had some excellent BBQ in Silverton, Colorado just ahead of the
train crowds that filter in about noon. The final drive home was very
pleasant. The gearing is low enough in 4th that you don't really have
to use your brakes much at all even on steep stuff like the south side
of Coal Bank pass.

I made one final jet change once I got down off the mountain before
headed on into Durango and making it home.

What a trip! I think its still sinking in that I did what I just did!

No comments:

Post a Comment